The Phoenix Park is an urban park in Dublin, Ireland, lying 2– 4 km west of the city centre, north of the River Liffey. Its 11 km boundary wall confines 707 hectares (1,750 acres); it is among the largest enclosed leisure spaces within any European capital city.
It includes large locations of grassland and tree-lined avenues, and since the 17th century has actually been home to a herd of wild fallow deer. The English name originates from the Irish fionn uisce meaning “clear water”. The Irish Government is lobbying UNESCO to have the park designated as a world heritage site.
After the Normans conquered Dublin and its hinterland in the 12th century, Hugh Tyrrel, 1st Baron of Castleknock, granted a big location of land, including what now comprises the Phoenix Park, to the Knights Hospitaller. They developed an abbey at Kilmainham on the site now occupied by Royal Healthcare facility Kilmainham.
The knights lost their lands in 1537 following the Dissolution of the Monasteries under Henry VIII of England. Eighty years later on the lands reverted to the ownership of the King’s representatives in Ireland.
On the remediation of Charles II of England, his Viceroy in Dublin, the Duke of Ormond, developed a royal searching park on the land in 1662. It consisted of pheasants and wild deer, making it essential to confine the entire location with a wall.
The park originally included the demesne of Kilmainham Priory south of the River Liffey. When the structure of the Royal Medical facility at Kilmainham commenced in 1680 for the use of veterans of the Royal Irish Army, the park was minimized to its present size, all of which is now north of the river. It was opened to the people of Dublin by the Earl of Chesterfield in 1745.
In the 19th century the expanse of the Park had actually ended up being neglected. With management being taken over by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests, the prominent English Landscape architect, Decimus Burton, was retained to develop an overall prepare for the public areas of the park. The execution of the strategy which included brand-new paths, gate-lodges, levelling and tree planting and moving the Phoenix Column, took almost twenty years to finish. See especially the architecturally considerable, “Chapelized” Gate Lodge.
Learn more about The book of kells