When it was first constructed in 1796, Kilmainham Gaol was called the “New Gaol” to distinguish it from the old prison it was meant to change– a noisome dungeon, just a couple of hundred metres from the present website.
It was formally called the County of Dublin Gaol, and was initially run by the Grand Jury for County Dublin.
Originally, public hangings happened at the front of the prison. Nevertheless, from the 1820s onward really few hangings, public or personal, occurred at Kilmainham. A little hanging cell was constructed in the prison in 1891. It is located on the very first flooring, between the west wing and the east wing.
There was no partition of prisoners; men, females and kids were jailed as high as 5 in each cell, with only a single candle for light and heat. Most of their time was spent in the cold and the dark, and each candle light needed to last for two weeks. Its cells were roughly 28 square metres in area.
Kids were often jailed for minor theft, the youngest stated to be a seven-year-old child, while a number of the adult prisoners were transferred to Australia. Kilmainham Gaol is a former jail in Kilmainham, Dublin, Ireland. It is now a museum run by the Office of Public Works, an agency of the Government of Ireland. Numerous Irish revolutionaries, including the leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising, were imprisoned and performed in the prison by the orders of the UK Federal government.
Learn more about National Museum of Ireland- Archaeology