Jameson Distillery Bow St. is an Irish whiskey traveler destination located simply off Smithfield Square in Dublin, Ireland. Jameson Distillery Bow St. is the initial site where Jameson Irish Whiskey was distilled up until 1971. It is now a visitors centre that offers guided trips, tutored whiskey tastings, JJs bar and a gift shop.
The original distillery on this site was called the Bow Street Distillery and was established in 1780. John Jameson took complete ownership (he was previously the general supervisor) and broadened the distillery in 1805. By 1810, the operation was formally renamed to John Jameson & Son’s Bow Street Distillery. The distillery grew to upwards of 5 acres (2 ha) in size by 1886.
At this time, it was explained by numerous as a “city within a city”. The distillery likewise housed a Smithy, Cooperage, saw mills, engineers, carpenters, painters and coppersmiths’ stores. Water for the distillery came from 2 deep wells dug below the site. Cellars were likewise dug below close-by streets to keep growing whiskey, while 4 stills and two wash stills, each holding 24,000 gallons (109,000 L), were heated up by both fire and steam coils above.
Following a challenging period that consisted of American Prohibition, Ireland’s trade war with Fantastic Britain, and the intro of Scotch combined whiskey, the Jameson distillery fell on difficult times and chose to form the Irish Distillers Group with their previous rivals, the Cork Distilleries Company and John Power & Kid in 1966. Eventually, it turned into one of the last distilleries in Ireland to close in 1971. The operation was then vacated Dublin to the New Midleton Distillery.
Learn more about The Irish Whiskey Museum