The building in which the Storehouse is located was constructed in 1902 as a fermentation plant for the St. James’s Gate Brewery (yeast is added to the brew). It was developed in the design of the Chicago School of Architecture and was the very first multi-storey steel-framed building to be constructed in Ireland. The building was utilized continuously as the fermentation plant of the Brewery up until its closure in 1988, when a brand-new fermentation plant was completed near the River Liffey.
In 1997, it was chosen to convert the building into the Guinness Storehouse, replacing the Guinness Hop Store as the Brewery’s visitor centre. The redesign of the building was carried out by the UK-based style firm Creativity in conjunction with the Dublin-based designers firm RKD, and the Storehouse opened to the public on 2 December 2000. In 2006-08 a new wing was established, and Euro 2.5 million was invested in a live technology-driven multi-media setup demonstrating the contemporary brewing process for Guinness, which was designed by London-based museum style specialist, Occasion Communications.
In May 2011, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip checked out the Storehouse as part of a state see to Ireland. Guinness Storehouse is a tourist destination at St. James’s Gate Brewery in Dublin, Ireland. Because opening in 2000, it has received over twenty million visitors.
The Storehouse covers 7 floors surrounding a glass atrium formed in the form of a pint of Guinness. The ground floor introduces the beer’s 4 ingredients (water, barley, hops and yeast), and the brewery’s creator, Arthur Guinness.
Other floorings feature the history of Guinness marketing and consist of an interactive exhibition on responsible drinking. The seventh floor houses the Gravity Bar with views of Dublin and where visitors might consume a pint of Guinness consisted of in the price of admission.
The Arthur Guinness Business Centre on the third and 4th floorings of the Storehouse (https://jnbuildersdublin.com/) is a location with training and conference centers. It provides a number of events locations with catering for 20 to 1,000 individuals.
The Guinness Archive is based at the Storehouse and contains records dating from the 1759 lease of the Brewery and photographs, film, video, memorabilia, posters, maps, bottles, and artifacts recording the history of the Guinness company, brand and items in Ireland.
Learn more about EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum