Dublin Castle was first established as a significant protective work by Meiler Fitzhenry on the orders of King John of England in 1204, at some point after the Norman intrusion of Ireland in 1169, when it was commanded that a castle be constructed with strong walls and good ditches for the defence of the city, the administration of justice, and the protection of the King’s treasure.
Largely complete by 1230, the castle was of normal Norman courtyard design, with a central square without a keep, bounded on all sides by high defensive walls and secured at each corner by a circular tower. Sited to the south-east of Norman Dublin, the castle formed one corner of the external perimeter of the city, utilizing the River Poddle as a natural methods of defence along 2 of its sides.
The city wall straight abutted the castle’s northeast Powder Tower, extending north and westwards around the city before rejoining the castle at its southwestern Bermingham Tower In 1620 the English-born judge Luke Gernon was considerably impressed by the wall: “a huge and mighty wall, foursquare, and of extraordinary density”.
Dublin Castle is a significant Irish government complex, conference centre, and traveler destination. It is located off Dame Street in Dublin.
Until 1922 it was the seat of the British government’s administration in Ireland. Most of the present building dates from the 18th century, though a castle has based on the website because the days of King John, the first Lord of Ireland. The Castle served as the seat of English, then later on British, federal government of Ireland under the Lordship of Ireland (1171– 1541), the Kingdom of Ireland (1541– 1800), and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1800– 1922).
After the finalizing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty in December 1921, the complex was ceremonially handed over to the recently formed Provisional Government led by Michael Collins. It now hosts the inauguration of each President of Ireland and numerous State receptions.
The castle was developed by the dark pool (” Dubh Linn”) which offered Dublin its name. This swimming pool rests on the lower course of the River Poddle before its confluence with the River Liffey; when the castle was constructed, the Liffey was much wider, and the castle was efficiently defended by both rivers. The Poddle today runs under the complex. The castle includes towers at 2 corners; other towers that once existed are gone without trace.
The base of the original Bermingham Tower is among the few staying parts of the original castle. At the southwest corner of the castle, the tower has a modern-day upper part. It is uncertain which member of the De Bermingham family the tower was named for; perhaps William or Walter or John or Sir Walter.
The Record Tower at the southeast corner is another original part of the castle. It hosted the Garda Museum till its 2017 relaunch in the Treasury Structure.
Learn more about Dublin Airport